Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Uneven, as usual

Be With by Forrest Gander; 2018;$16.95; 92 pages; A New Directions Book, New York, NY; 9780811226059; checked out from Multnomah County Library, Central; 7/13/19-7/16/19

Why did I read this?  Each year I try to read all the Pulitzer Prize winning books.  This year may be difficult as there are several ginormous winners, this is not one of the winners.  This won for poetry.

As I have found with most books of poetry there are some poems I like, some I don't, some which make me go hmmm... and some that make me go what??.  In this collection I found no complete poems that I liked, but there were lines and stanzas that I found compelling.  

What is with the title of the review?  Every book of poetry that I have ever read has been uneven.  Some good stuff, some not so good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment