Thursday, May 21, 2020

A lot of fun

My Most Excellent Year, A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins & Fenway Park by Steve Kluger; 2008; $16.99; 403 pages; Dial Books, New York, NY; 978-0-8037-3227; purchased at the Title Wave Used Bookstore,5/9/2020-5/11/2020

Give me a book that promises Mary Poppins and baseball together and I will give it a look. This is an fun read told through diary entries and correspondence.  I laughed out loud at least once and found myself tearing up a couple of times.  There is baseball throughout, some of the characters are named after Red Sox players, there are Aunts Babe and Ruth.  There are divas from Streisand to Minelli.  Julie Andrews even makes an appearance.  There are several relationships being formed by people of all ages throughout the story and most of them affect each other.  One of the most hopeful books I have read this year.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment