Saturday, April 25, 2020

not really Different reading it ten years later.

Prayer, Finding the Heart's True Home by Richard J. Foster; 1992; 268 pages; Harper San Francisco, New York, NY; 0-06-062846-4; chosen from my to be read pile in the time of corona; 4/13/2020-4/23/2020

 I just read my review of this from ten years ago.  I read this in a single sitting on one of my reading vacations. What follows is what I wrote ten years ago.
Richard J. Foster, author of Celebration of Discipline, walks through 21 different kinds of prayer from the simple prayer to radical prayer. So many Christian books tend to make me feel guilty, but this motivated me to a new realization of prayer,that it is simple. The church has made it complex and guilt inducing in that is a requirement of the faith,however it should be an outgrowth of a relationship. There is nothing wrong with asking for things,there is no formula or prescribed method of prayer that fits every case and every person. We must allow each other to speak in our own voice and method. Some of the prayers that I have grown from are letters that I have written to God. This is another book that will be added to my annual reading list. Grade-A. Thanks,Jim
Well I guess that it didn't get read every year though it hopefully will in the future.  I am rereading it now.  I want this to be imprinted on my mind.  
P.S.  evidently I bought the book on Amazon ten years ago after seeing Jim Weisenberg reading it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment