Thursday, January 9, 2020

Wowser, cross culture writing

Silence by Shusaku Endo; 1969; $16.00; 212 pages; Picador Modern Classics, New York, NY; 978-1-250-08224-4; Corner Reading Society selection January 2020;  purchased from SmileAmazon.com; 12/12/2019-12/20/2019

I am not always excited about the books that the Corner Reading Society picks, but I joined the group to read books that I normally would not read.  This is a book that I am glad I read.  I normally do not read books that have been translated because I believe they lose something in the translation, I don't believe this book did. 
This is the story of some Portuguese priests that travel to Japan at a time that the nation was closed to outsiders.  It was not a good time to be a Christian in Japan.  Think Samurai and such.
The WRITING is phenomenal.  At one point I had to remind myself that the author was Japanese because he wrote from the viewpoint of one of the priest so well that I thought the author had to be Portuguese.  
This is the last book in this years rotation for the Corner Reading Society.  On Saturday, the 11th we will vote on the books for the coming year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment